The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Download a screen saver
Send this page to a friend

Send a greeting to a friend
Plan a tour of old churches
Bibliography
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Archer Methodist Chapel
Allendale, Bergen County



Archer was summer resident of Allendale who paid for and built this wooden frame chapel in 1876 for the Methodists who has been meeting in the area. There were supposedly camp meetings in 1785 to 1790, but that is a little early for the several day, all day revivals that we know of today as camp meetings. In any case, a Methodist society had been established near Waldwick by 1797, but this is the first Methodist meetinghouse in Allendale. In 1873 a large and very fine (judging from old photographs) late Victorian church was erected next door; that was a real landmark and lasted until 1973 when it was razed to make room for a new church.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel