The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Saint Thomas' Church
Alexandria Township, Hunterdon County

This early Episcopal church was organized in 1723, according to one account, because the crown and the Church of England feared that Quakers and other dissenters (Presbyterians and Anabaptists) were filling up West Jersey. This simple stone building, very little altered, was erected in 1769 to replace an earlier log structure. It certainly would have been erected under the sponsorship of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, although the Stevens family of Hoboken, who had a large estate nearby, were patrons.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel