The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Alexandria Presbyterian Church at Mount Pleasant
Holland Township, Hunterdon County




  

 

 

 

 

The strong Greek Revival elements of this building tells us that it was erected sometime before the Civil War; in 1843, in fact. The steeple is not original, and has been modified again since this photograph was made a few years ago.
     Known originally as the Presbyterian Church of Mount Pleasant, the church was organized by or before 1752. It held services in a log meetinghouse by 1763, which was shared with a German Reformed congregation, whose services were conducted in German. Known as the Dutch (German) and English Presbyterian Church and Congregation of Alexandria, the parish register of the German Reformed Church goes back to 1763. In 1802, the German Reformed congregation was united with the Presbyterian by a formal act of the German Reformed Synod. The Presbyterians and German and Dutch Reformed Protestants were so closely allied in doctrine as to commonly associate, as they did in Amwell, Clover Hill and Fox Hill (Fairmont). The congregations jointly resolved in 1795 that the old log church was much too dilapidated for services and took up a subscription to build a new church.
      That second building, familiarly called the “New Frame” to distinguish it from the Bethlehem Presbyterian Church which was under the same minister and called the “Old Frame,” was not actually erected until 1802. That building was used until this church was erected in 1843. The frame of the old building was removed to Little York in 1844, re-enclosed and fitted up as a house of worship, also in the Greek Revival manner.


 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel