The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Mt. Salem Methodist Episcopal church
Alexandria Township, Hunterdon County

 












This Civil War vintage church sits on the dividing line between Union Township and Alexandria. The congregation was organized in 1838 and the congregation met in private houses in the area until they built their first church in 1846. This building was put up in 1864, and the builder/architect is listed as Eli Bosenbury. The area was not traditionally known as Mt. Salem; the name was chosen to honor a local resident who gave the land. Mt Salem is a reference to “David’s mount of old” in the Bible, a rather obscure allusion today and perhaps then, too. The exterior has been beautifully restored and it now serves as the Historical Museum for Alexandria Township.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel